125g butter, cubed
225g self-raising flour, sifted
Pinch of salt
125g caster sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
Finely grated zest and juice of 3 limes
1/2 medium courgette, peeled and grated
30g dessicated coconut
For the toppingJuice of 2 limes
200g caster sugar
Dessicated coconut for decoration
- Preheat oven to 180c/ gas mark 4. Line and grease a 2lb loaf tin (I use the pre-shaped liners).
- Mix flour and salt together then rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar then add eggs, lime juice and lime zest and mix.
- Stir in grated courgette and coconut and stir gently until just combined.
- Spoon into loaf tin and bake for 45 - 55 minutes.
- Insert a skewer to test. Cool slightly in tin.
- Meanwhile mix lime juice and syrup together. Prick surface of cake and pour over syrup leaving it to sink in. Add a sprinkling of coconut whilst syrup is still sticky.
- Lift from tin to cool completely.
I use a fan oven so adjust accordingly.
I found that using 2 limes and 200g of sugar for the syrup was a bit too much so try adding half, letting it sink in for a while and then adding the rest.